Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A rare positive editorial about Rick's education plans...

The Dallas Morning News praises Rick for T-STEM Academies (link). Excerpt follows...

What do you know? A real, live idea has emerged in the Republican race for governor. Instead of the hourly whack-the-opponent news releases from the Rick Perry and Kay Bailey Hutchison campaigns, Perry recently announced plans to double the number of T-STEM academies across the state.

When I talk to Rick's peeps about where Rick is vulnerable, I will bring up suburban moms who care mostly about education but identify themselves as Republican... those should be for Kay...

They push back pretty hard and say that Rick has expanded funding for education by whatever big percentage, and student aid for college by a million percent, and this and that... they don't think Rick gets nearly enough credit for putting so much money into education... it is the big issue in which he decided to expand funding for...

To be honest all of that extra spending on education doesn't do much for me. In fact it is probably a negative thing for me.... getting a positive editorial from the Dallas Morning News is also not really a good thing in my opinion.

What does impress me on Rick's education policies is that he has pushed for much more prominent accountability programs and merit pay to shake things up. He has also pushed to require school districts to publish their checkbooks on the internet...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.