Thursday, June 25, 2009

While we are on the subject of polls...

A few weeks ago I strongly praised Kay for breaking ranks from the so called conservative thing to do and voting to heavily regulate tobacco further (link)...

I felt some backlash after that blog, and I can see why now that I see the Gallup survey poll about it... 52% of all Americans disapprove of the new laws (link)...

Republicans are even more upset by the new law...
More than 60% of Republicans and 51% of independents disapprove of that vote nationwide. I bet it is stronger in Texas with our libertine streak we have.

Rick probably won't bring it up, because being seen as pro smoking is not helpful politically. I know for me it isn't at least. I stand by my praise of Kay for her vote. It was a big important step in the right direction in getting smoking out of our lives. So sue me.

1 comment:

  1. It's not the government's job to tell us whether or not we should be able to smoke. It's a personal decision for individuals. The government does not have the right to tell me how long I should live. If I want to end my life sooner that's my choice.

    And I have never smoked before.

    Keeping the government small and out of as much of our lives as possible is conservatism, and that includes smoking.

    We clearly disagree on this, and that's fine. I'm just voicing my opinion. I commend you on your fine blog; I am an avid reader and subscriber. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.