Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Story gets Rick's web thing wrong, I am told...

Christi Hoppe wrote something that I know with my own eyes to be wrong (link). Excerpt follows...

But just as the Republican was to begin speaking, the campaign's server was overloaded and had to be taken offline, disconnecting about 22,000 viewers. Some users were able to view the speech with no trouble.

Perry spokesman Mark Miner attributed the disruption to a denial-of-service attack, in which servers are deliberately bombarded with requests for data.

I was not disconnected nor were a lot of people I have spoken with who were already logged onto the system. I watched the entire video. So did other bloggers and journalists...

I am not techie enough to know all the terminology, but I did hear from one of Rick's technology vendor friends of mine that the video itself was hosted on an entirely separate server with dedicated space, which is why people were not interrupted. He says Rick's campaign was "obsessed" with having enough bandwidth, so they basically overbought by several times for the day. Their goal was to have enough room for up to hundreds of thousands of watchers... which was never even a remote possibility... and the video portion was never the problem...

It also explains why so many people who were logged on could continue watching the video. The video was fine and dandy, it was Rick's site itself that was taken down. If you were already on the site and not clicking around or refreshing you wouldn't have had any problems.

I think it is pretty amazing that Rick had far more not only at his invite only event in a secretive location than Kay had at her high school gym, but from the looks of it he had many many times more people watch his announcement than watched Kay's entire week long tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.