Monday, May 11, 2009

Kay doesn't like the coffee on Southwest Airlines...

Apparently Kay doesn't like the coffee on SWA (link). Excerpt follows...

At a rally to mark Love Field’s new freedoms, I shared the stage with Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison, who was indefatigable in her efforts on Capitol Hill to get the legislation passed in close to record time.  It is always an honor and a privilege to be in the Senator’s company, but I admit that I was a little surprised about what happened next (and you can see my surprise below).

After she discussed the import of the day’s gathering and highlighted how very disparate groups came together in the spirit of compromise, she then asked me why our coffee was so horrible.  Keep in mind that I never touch the stuff, but I had never heard a disparaging word about our offerings before that point in time.  Her question left me feeling like the Emperor with no clothes.  Perhaps I was still living in a pre-barista world, where “cups of Joe” were dispensed in diners and coffee shops by waitresses who called you “honey, sugar, or darlin,” not magnum-sized java lattes in coffee salons brewed by trendy baristas.  That apparent lack of awareness of the coffee revolution is sad to admit from a social trend-setter like me.  (After all, as a teenager, I was in the lead when it came to tail fins, ducktails, and the jitterbug.) 

After being taken to task by a United States Senator, I was at a loss for words.  As you will notice in the second photo below, I relied on my “plan B” and used my effervescent charm and brilliant sense of humor to deflect the issue.  But, thanks to the good Senator, I began to see the world through coffee-colored glasses.  Senator Hutchison, it took a while, but I hope you will appreciate the LIFT our new coffee and creamer products will bring you. 

 Good to know that the coffee on SWA will be better from this moment on.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.