Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rick ups payments to wrongly convicted people...

Wrongly convicted Texans will be getting a boost, financially, from a new law that Rick has put his signature on...

GOP12 has some thoughts (link). Excerpt follows...
Lest you say Rick Perry has no heart...

This is something everyone can cheer.

Rick Perry signed a bill today, giving the wrongly convicted a lump sum boost of $30k for every year they languish in prison (from $50k to 80k).
When I was a child, I often thought about how terrible it would be to be wrongly convicted. I was almost obsessed with it for some strange reason, maybe because of the circumstances of my upbringing and my heritage. I always thought someone should receive millions and millions of dollars for being locked up wrongly. 

On the other hand, gangsters who just happen to be wrongly convicted for something their gang banger brothers did don't get as much sympathy, and I can totally see money going to people who really are thugs and drug pushers but get off on a technicality. Hopefully the bill has some safeguards against that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.