Friday, November 20, 2009

Burka's reviews of the Rick and Kay TV ads...

Paul Burka posted two blogs this morning reviewing the commercials of Rick and Kay.

Rick...
Paul Burka's review of Rick's ad (link). Excerpt follows...
This is a very effective spot. I give it 9 out of 10. It may be a little too busy in places. It is both positive and negative, positive in setting up Perry’s record, negative in its unspoken but obvious attempt to link Hutchison to Washington. It’s obvious where this is headed. Step one is “Washington is broken.” Step one, the seeds of which have already been planted, is that Kay Bailey Hutchison is the candidate of Washington values. We saw them in the beginning of the commercial: DEFICITS, BAILOUTS, PORK BARREL SPENDING. Step two is probably going to be very unfair — I think a lot of that so-called pork was very important to Texas –but this is a war that is going to be fought in 30-second skirmishes, and so far the Perry campaign has a clear grasp of what its message needs to be and the Hutchison campaign has neither grasp nor message.
Burka was more positive on this ad than I was. I don't see it moving the dial too much. It is solid, but I'd give it a 6 or 7, not a 9.

Kay...

Paul Burka's review of Kay's ad (link). Excerpt follows...
What can I say? This is what we have been waiting for? Everything about this spot is dreadful. I can’t even give it a positive grade. It is going to lose votes. She has no energy. Her body language radiates defeat. The fighting words have no defiance in them. The subject matter is wrong. The message is wrong. And where was an editor when somebody wrote a script that raised the red herring of a state takeover of health care? That’s from outer space. Anyone who is backing her and sees this spot is going to be not just disappointed, but dismayed. Even horrified.

[SNIP]

Maybe George Strake Jr. is right. If this is the best she can do, she ought to quit the race.
That is harsher than I would have been. I would have given her ad a 3 or a 4.

Still, I think he has some good points, and I am puzzled as to why Kay would run a statewide ad about why she is not resigning...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.