S. Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Texas’ senior Senator and a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, today announced that the committee has approved $6.87 million for important agriculture research at Texas A&M University. The bill is now ready to be considered by the full Senate.
“Texas A&M is a world leader in agriculture research,” said Senator Hutchison. “This funding will support their continued efforts to ensure food is safe, available, and affordable.”
• $3.83 million to develop, in conjunction with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Agricultural Research Service, West Texas A&M University, Texas Tech University and Kansas State University, new irrigation techniques to prevent wasteful depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer;The bill includes the following projects for Texas A&M:
• $200,000 for Prairie View A&M Dairy and Meat Goat Research, a program designed to advance the dairy goat industry globally;
• $290,000 for the National Wildlife Research Station at Texas A&M Kingsville to address infectious diseases associated with wildlife populations;
• $300,000 for an air quality study conducted by West Texas A&M University, Texas A&M University and Kansas State University;
• $1.05 million for Texas A&M and New Mexico State University for research to increase the efficiency of agricultural and urban landscape irrigation and to encourage the development of efficient water markets in the Rio Grande Basin;
• $200,000 to help coordinate the policy analysis efforts of the food, fiber and energy industries in the areas in which they intersect; and
• $1 million to establish a Center for Invasive Species Eradication that focuses on research targeting the eradication of invasive plant species through enhanced education and management programs.
Sunday, July 12, 2009
Rick and Kay and money at Texas A&M.
Kay's team is stoking this rumor that Rick wants to be the president of Texas A&M, a terrible and thankless job where you are always second place to that other school in Austin.
Rick's team doesn't seem to care very much, because I have asked them what's up and they just blow it off as stupid distractions not based on any reality. They say only a small number of people are fanning the flames, and they are all Kay supporters, and nobody really believes any of that BS anyway. I have heard from a few Rick peeps something along the lines of "how do you spot the 5 Kay supporters on the internet? .... they are the ones talking about Texas A&M conspiracy theories."
I wouldn't be so sure Rick can just blow it all off so easily, but I do see what they mean. I don't know many real life Aggies who don't just absolutely love Rick almost in a gross and cultish way.
What I am also confused by is how Kay's team can criticize Rick on putting dollars toward Texas A&M when she is doing the same thing (link). Excerpt follows...
I think this is another example of Kay's team just throwing anything out there and hoping it sticks. Either that or they think Rick can die a death from a thousand lashes, and this is just one of those lashes.