Thursday, July 23, 2009

Veteran tax cuts...

Rick signed a tax cut for injured vets.

Robbie Cooper of Urbangrounds blog blogs the story (link). Excerpt follows...
I’ve met Governor Rick Perry on a number of occasions at various Patriot Guard Rider funeral missions. His respect for the fallen Soldier as well as the numerous Veterans who comprise the PGR is evident.

Even when I haven’t agreed with his politics, I’ve always held Rick Perry the man in very high regard — as do most Veterans that I know.

Which makes this latest legislation that he just signed into law just one more reason that I’ll support and vote for him in his re-election bid for Governor:

Under legislation signed by Gov. Rick Perry last month, Trejo and other severely injured veterans are about to get some major financial relief: They will no longer have to pay property taxes on their homes.

Disabled veterans in Texas will qualify for total homestead property tax exemptions if the Department of Veterans Affairs has determined they are unable to work or they are receiving 100 percent disability compensation for physical or psychological problems related to their military service.

Veterans with a 100% service-connected disability will not have to pay property tax. Which is the very least that we can do for those who have sacrificed so much for so many.
Veterans who are injured should get more than a pat on the back... I am glad Texas is going this route. Politically this was probably pretty easy to get passed, so I don't know how much credit Rick really deserves here. Who is against veterans?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.