Thursday, February 25, 2010

Rick's claim about vetoing earmarks checks out...

I have to admit I am not a big fan of these fact checking organizations that hold themselves up as the voice of God when it comes to what is true and what is stretching the truth. One of Rick's claims I was curious about was saying he had vetoed earmarks (link). Excerpts follow...
THE CLAIM: A radio ad by Gov. Rick Perry's campaign touts that Perry "vetoed $35.8 million in earmarks in 2007." Tom Schatz, chairman of the Council for Citizens Against Government Waste political action committee, mentions the number as he endorses Perry in the ad.
[SNIP]

BOTTOM LINE: Perry's claim about his vetoes is correct.

Hear the ad in this video presentation from the Perry campaign:


This was rated as one pepper...


Again... who determines which facts to check, and how to check them? These seem very arbitrary. There are hundreds of claims being made, and only some of them get checked out...

I have not looked closely at them all but at a glance it looks like the Dallas Morning News fact checks are more accurate and less editorial than the Austin American Statesman fact checks... but I have not done any serious analysis of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.