Monday, February 1, 2010

Rick and luck...

Peggy Fikac has an interesting tale of how Rick got from point A to point B in his life (link). Excerpt follows...

Gov. Rick Perry's life has been shaped by several “supernatural events”— actually weather events, but “very extraordinary, way-out-of-the-realm-of-normal weather phenomena.”

Some of them were turning points in Perry's life — an assessment we've asked major candidates for governor to make.

The first came after he'd returned home to Haskell County in 1977 following a stint in the Air Force, moving back in with his parents after deciding to go into agriculture with his dad.

A severe dry period convinced him to get his airline transport pilot rating and apply to fly for Southwest Airlines.

“I told my dad, I said, ‘I've got to go do something to make a living,'” Perry said. “And my dad, in his very curt but wise way, said, ‘It'll rain. Always does. But you need to go do what you want to do.'”

When the dry spell broke in a big way, he changed his mind about Southwest Airlines: “It became a 100-year flood in our part of the state ... And I kind of took that as my signal that that wasn't where I was supposed to be going off to.” Otherwise, he said, “I would have been sitting in the left seat of a 737 right now.”

Peggy with a very interesting look at coincidences and how they shaped Rick's path to where he is now... I would recommend reading the entire commentary...

3 comments:

  1. Is that a teaser? We're supposed to click on because THAT's interesting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish idiot trolls would at least post non-anonymously, so we can mock them properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RobbieC said...
    I wish idiot trolls would at least post non-anonymously, so we can mock them properly.


    Possibly 'Rick vs. Kay' could post anonymouse's IP address?   Then we could discover from which TX High School it's posting?
    .

    ReplyDelete

Hey now, campaign characters. Be nice. I know a lot of you on both sides, so I don't want any overly foul language, personal attacks on anyone other than the candidates themselves, or other party fouls. I will moderate the heck out of you if you start breaking the bounds of civility.